This weekend passed by so quickly. We go the chance to finally pick up a BBQ! Colt has been dying to get one of these for months and now there is no excuses for not making dinner for him! Win-win for us both I would say. I’m excited to test it out for our first meal tonight. While Colt is feelin’ the steak, I’m really craving some BBQ salmon and asparagus, my favourites!
We also got out with the pups again to enjoy this weather. It’s been a balmy -5 celsius this weekend, yes this is very warm for Canadian winter time! So we’ve been pleased with that and I’ve been opting to take any chance that I can to enjoy it. The sun beaming down on me makes it all that better. And the puppies certainly have no complaints.
Once we got in they were both entirely tuckered out, so I took that time to get some cuddles in with the cuties!
This is his “leave me alone mama I wanna nap” face! He gets sick of me trying to snap so many pictures all the time.
I’d also like to share with you a yummy recipe I tried out this weekend. Get ready for this…
Skinny chicken parmigiana pasta!
Now I am not usually a pasta type of gal, but when we got in from adventuring around all day and on our feet, we were both famished and needed a meal that would leave us satisfied. I was craving this pasta and made it with a healthy twist (and Colt still thought it was amazing, go figure!)
2 skinless boneless chicken breast, cubed
2 cups whole wheat penne noodles
Small amount of oil for the skillet
chopped spinach, broccoli, onion, grape tomatoes and mushrooms (add as much veg as you’d like, I love LOTS)
seasonings – basil, thyme, pepper, dash of salt and garlic
marinara sauce – you can make your own with diced tomatoes, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, sweetener or stevia OR purchase a low sodium version from the store!
1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
1/2 cup shredded low fat cheese to top
– Boil pot of water on the stove with the penne noodles for 10-12 minutes (it will state on the pasta box exactly how long is recommended)
– in a skillet with oil, add the cubed chicken and cover. Make sure to mix them all up every few minutes to ensure there is no burning.
– While the chicken is in the skillet, in a separate frying pan, put all of your chopped vegetables in with oil and sautee. Dust your vegetables with the seasonings and continue to stir them up every few minutes. Keep them frying in the pan for about 10 minutes.
– Add the vegetables to your skillet with the chicken and sautee all ingredients together. Add in your marinara sauce and make sure that all ingredients are covered. Allow them to cook with the marinara in the skillet for atleast 2 minutes.
– Strain the penne noodles out of the pot and add them into the skillet with your chicken, vegetables and marinara sauce.
– Mix all ingredients and allow them to sit for a couple of minutes. Add any additional spices that you may want.
– Plate your mixture and top it off with as much or as little shredded cheese as you want.
Voila! Look at you – chef status. Enjoy 🙂